It is relatively easy to apply for permanent residency (Green Card) on the basis of a marriage to an American citizen. But not all marriages succeed, and some marriages fail very fast - even before the alien spouse gets the conditional (temporary) Green Card.  What then?

In most cases, the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (CIS) will send you a Notice To Appear (NTA).  This requests your appearance in Immigration Court for Removal (deportation) proceedings.  But do not despair: You still have a chance.

First: Do not avoid or miss any scheduled appearance or hearing in Immigration Court.  (To read more about Immigration Court - click here).

Second: You and your immigration lawyer should carefully read and analyze the denial of your Application for Adjustment of Status (Form I-485).  Did the denial accuse you of "marriage fraud," and if so - why?  (Many times the CIS is too hasty in making such accusations).

Third: If there is no hope to save - or revive - your marriage, take the necessary steps to get a divorce.  (Do not leave it to your U.S. Citizen spouse to apply for the divorce - it could take too long).

Fourth: You and your immigration lawyer should review your history and your present circumstances and decide what applications may still be filed for you in Immigration Court.

Generally speaking, a failed marriage need not be the end of your life in the U.S.

Meet Our Immigration Lawyers
Copyright © 2000-2018 Popkin Shamir & Golan - Los Angeles Immigration Law Firm. Immigration Lawyers and Atrorneys at Law. All Rights Reserved.
Please consult an attorney for advice about your individual situation. This site and its information is not legal advice, nor is it intended to be. Feel free to get in touch by electronic mail, letters, or phone calls. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Until an attorney-client relationship is established, please withhold from sending any confidential information to us.